Hummus is one of the oldest and dates back to ancient Egypt. Is one of the most popular recipes in the Middle East. Is a blend of soft chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and garlic and use to be served with fresh or toasted pita bread.
Chickpeas are a sweet and nutty legume that become creamy when blended, specially when you add tahini and olive oil. Lemon juice gives the blend balance while garlic adds its own pungent punch. Just need these five ingredients but you can even add spices as cumin and smoked paprika. Is usually serve as appetizer.
Tools: blender or food processor
Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (for 2 persons)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (soaked overnight with 6-8 cups of water).
- 1 strip Kombu seaweed
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame puree)
- 1 tbsp oil of olive
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- 1 chopped garlic clove.
- Drain the chickpeas into a strainer and rinse under cool running water.
- Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt in the bowl of the food processor or blender.
- Blend hummus until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
- Serve with pita bread or with seeds and cereal bread, or cover and store in the fridge.
Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of spices like cumin or smoked paprika
You can garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Hummus can be refrigerated up to 3 days and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Add a bit of oil if it is a little dry.