Quantity: 2 serves
Time: 25 minutes
Tools: Saucepan and a blender
Storage: Keep it in the fridge on an airtight container for 3 – 5 days
1 pound or 450 g green asparagus
2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
2 cloves garlic
1 small fennel bulb (or 1/2 large)
1 handful spinach
2 cups water or vegetable stock
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon
salt & black pepper
Lentil and Pepita Topping
1 cup cooked puy lentils (1/2 cup uncooked, boiled in water for 18 minutes)
1/2 cup dry-toasted and salted pumpkin seeds / pepitas
1 large bunch flat leaf parsley
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Finely chop onion, garlic and fennel and add to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the asparagus, stir around and let fry on low/medium heat for a minute, then add water/stock, apple cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping. Carefully pour the soup into a blender , add spinach and mix until smooth. Taste the soup, add more water or salt and pepper if needed.
- Preparing the topping: Finely chop the asparagus tips and the parsley and place in a bowl together with the boiled lentils and the toasted pumpkin seeds. Add cayenne pepper if you prefer it a little spicy. Pour over some olive oil and stir around until it’s all mixed well.
- Serve the soup with the lentil topping on top. Enjoy!